Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: I need a pc urgently

AVF Regular

I need a pc urgently

My computers is 7 years old, it keeps going to a checkered screen, I have to turn it off wait till it cools down and restart it.
    I'm sure I could fix it, but it's no longer reliable because of its vintage.
    The new computer needs display port on the graphics card, with enough power to run my 30" Dell monitors.
    If you have one, or have seen some good deals, please let me know.
    This one is driving me nuts.
    Please help, thanks guys.
    If you're in Sydney and are a computer whiz I'll pay you to fix it?
    I can drop it off or you can do it here.

AVF Regular
    Brand newies are cheap as chips these days if you just require the basics. this is the way I would go then just add storage as required

AVF Regular
    disley - im not an expert but have you ever run a clean up program on it? - ive been using this one for many years now on a couple of machines Speed Up Slow Computer, Keep PC and Internet Secure, Freeware Download - IObit -

also whenever i have seen chequered patterns appear on the screen it has been a problem with the graphics card - either not seated properly in the motherboard or could be it is overheating if it has a fan on the graphics card and its not working

also is the computer actually getting hot? - ie is there hot air coming out of the back of the computer when the chequered pattern appears on the screen

AVF Regular
    Grumpy Old man, Living inPerth Northern suburbs
    If the computer restarts after a period there is a good chance its overheating. Check the ventilation ports and grills for build up of fluff etc. Worth a look if you have not already done!! Also check the cpu fan and the heat sink for build up of crap.
    Fatman, LimeB and oneANT like this.
    Because I trust no-one Who tells me FACTS with no proof

AVF Regular
    Most likely GPU related as suggested already, can't offer to help sadly as I'm in S.A.

What GPU (graphics card) do you have in it, or is it on-board (built into the motherboard)?

Most video cards can drive large/multiple monitors these days, not hard to work on computers really but am sure there should be some members over your way that know enough to help. It could be something as simple as a good clean inside of your computer and reseating the video card.
    Every mighty oak tree started life out just as some crazy nut trying to hold it's ground!

AVF Regular
    Don't run IOBit cleaner software on your machine (any machine), or any automated cleaning software for that matter... they use resources for nothing and cause more issues than they fix. The only one I'm aware of that isn't straight out dodgy is CCleaner. But don't use the registry cleaner on that either. Registry cleaning is quite simply a bad idea being pimped by companies to rip people off. System watch and auto update are also features that you should definitely turn off.

The checkered screen is most likely a dying video card. 7 years is a pretty good innings for a pc though. Give cleaning it with compressed air a go though, clean out all the little nooks and crannies. But be sure to stick a pen or something in the fans when you clean them. Otherwise they can send voltage back to your motherboard and fry stuff. You might get another round out of it.

Like lheamfg said new pc's are dirt cheap these days. You could have a brand spanker for less than $400... good for another 7 years.
    Browny, Tara and Dalork like this.

AVF Regular
    Oh I forgot to add, avoid those PC cleaning programs at all costs!

The amount of hi-jacked PC's I've had to fix (well clean is a better word) over the years because of everyday folks downloading freeware that promises to speed up and clean their PC at zero cost would astound you. I would not recommend you play with your systems registry at all unless you know what your doing either.

But please, Oh please stay away from freebie fix it up programs all they will do is mess things up far worse. If you computer is sluggish best thing to do is (back-up all important files FIRST) a FRESH install of your operating system and make sure all your hardware drivers are up to date. If it's too slow after that then you need to look at upgrading or move to a new PC.
    oneANT and charles Vaper like this.
    Every mighty oak tree started life out just as some crazy nut trying to hold it's ground!

AVF Regular
    Hi Disley, if you really want to save the old beast download CCleaner from here CCleaner - Free download and software reviews - CNET Download.com alternatively throw it in the bin and get a new one 7 years is a great run but it'll just cost you to keep fixing it, I could take a look at it for you unfortunalty I'm not in Sydney. If your handy and know how to build you can go here Pick Parts, Build Your PC, Compare and Share - PCPartPicker Australia , last alternative is office works have a desktop for under 400$ At the moment and comes with a free monitor. Obviously if you want to spend more there's loads of alternatives.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalork View Post
    Oh I forgot to add, avoid those PC cleaning programs at all costs!

The amount of hi-jacked PC's I've had to fix (well clean is a better word) over the years because of everyday folks downloading freeware that promises to speed up and clean their PC at zero cost would astound you. I would not recommend you play with your systems registry at all unless you know what your doing either.

But please, Oh please stay away from freebie fix it up programs all they will do is mess things up far worse. If you computer is sluggish best thing to do is (back-up all important files FIRST) a FRESH install of your operating system and make sure all your hardware drivers are up to date. If it's too slow after that then you need to look at upgrading or move to a new PC.
    I have to whole heartedly disagree with you here, CCleaner is a fantastic free program, I use it every day on my Origin PC. Sure there might be some dodgy cleaning tools out there but this one is not one of them, there's no bloat ware with it its just plug n play. I would highly recommend it not avoid it.

AVF Regular
    if most of what you do is internet and a bit of office work then you can pick up an All in one from most retailers (Harvey Norman, **** Smith, JB etc) for under $500 and have a pretty decent unit with a 20" screen and enough storage to keep you happy.
    If all you do is access internet then there's some pretty good deals on notebooks eg, HP Stream, all kinds of Chromebooks, last generation laptops etc that may be worth looking at (all under the $500 mark and many under $400)
    Quit date : 10/5/2011

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast