Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Gold Plating [EOI]

AVF Regular

Gold Plating [EOI]

So I'm considering buying the chemicals to gold plate some of my gear. e.g. have a look at this mock-up of my Magma clone that I was using to see which way to do it (I'm thinking No. 3):

Here's a video showing how it's done and some actual results:

Thing is the chemicals are expensive and I have to buy more than I need. So I was wondering if there was any interest out there for small stainless steel items to be plated? I can't do brass only stainless (it is possible but requires more steps and chemicals).

Maybe for $10 an item (or small lot) plus return postage?

Let me know below if you are interested.

(Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, if so, feel free to move it Mods).

AVF Regular
    Sweeeet! Off to get me a plating kit!

AVF Regular
    Well if you have a couple of hundred bucks worth of items to do rather than just a couple (like me) then that would be wise. Can I get you do do some for me?

Here's a run-down of the cost:

100mL Stainless steel activator 1 3.50 3.50
    100mL Gold plating solution 1 59.99 59.99
    100mL Silver plating solution - free of charge 1 0.00 0.00
    100mL GS gold finishing polish - free of charge 1 0.00 0.00
    100mL GS prep polish 1 8.50 8.50
    2 probes 1 29.00 29.00
    Plating Settings sheet - free of charge 1 0.00 0.00
    Subtotal 100.99
    Shipping/handling 22.50 (to Tas)
    Total 123.49 GBP ($226.268 AUD)

You will also need a power supply. Something I have already.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I can also do silver plating as I get that free. Good for terminals. Wouldn't be so hot on the outside as it tarnishes.
    Last edited by Sponky; 05-07-14 at 09:54 PM.

AVF Regular
    I want to plate anything i own that is stainless... Including my knifes and forks!

Are the probes something special?
    Sponky likes this.

AVF Regular
    Not from what I can tell. They are just stainless steel electrodes with banana plug sockets in the end of a plastic wand. Small pieces of scrap stainless would do.

AVF Regular
    if i send u my rims can you do them?

Quick Robin to the VapeCave

AVF Regular
    Not with 100mL and not for $10.

AVF Regular
    LMGDAO was worth a try

Quick Robin to the VapeCave

AVF Regular
    I doubt the probes are stainless steel but I could be wrong. The type of power supply is important to get a good quality finish. You also need to realize the thickness of the gold coating that has been done in that vid will be very thin. In other words it will scratch easy and you mod could look like crap not long after you plate it.
    Is the gold solution a cyanide based solution. You are also talking about shipping acids so it would have to come by sea.
    I would be careful about offering to plate items for people before you have the equipment and have done a few bits successfully. Electroplating can go from wow that's great to WTF is going on very quickly. One of the main issues with cheap kits is the quality of the plating and how thin it goes down.

One last thing that these companies wont tell you is when you plate a very thin coating it will show all of the imperfections underneath so if your stainless isn't a mirror finish before you plate it you will not get a mirror finish with your gold. There is a reason that there is copper ( good filler of imperfections) and then nickle under chrome. The better the polish of the nickel the better the chrome finish.

Sorry I don't want to trash your thread or your ideas but you really need to do some research before jumping head first into offering gold plating to people. For the sort of plating you are looking at doing I would suggest you look at brush plating kits.

Cheers
    Midlife
    Master Sergeant and Sponky like this.

AVF Regular
    Thanks for the advice. I have a good bench top power supply that can provide constant current and voltage already (I'm an electronics tech). However yeah your other points are duly noted. I've done a bit of electroplating before (and 1st year Uni chem). Yeah it will be thin but it also has a Cobalt hardner in the solution.

I looked at the brush plating and electroless kits but was wowed by the results in the video above. Maybe I'll have another look at the brush plating (the electroless got woeful reviews).

Edit: no not cyanide based. Also I was thinking of making my own activator (it's basically dilute HCl from what I've read).
    Last edited by Sponky; 05-07-14 at 10:42 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast