Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree482Likes

Thread: PIF comp

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by fabricator4 View Post
    Oooh! Squonk! I'll play.

First entry is a story about Hamish the Westie, no longer with us.
    Officially in love with dearly departed Hamish
    Tootle Puffing Provari Fan Gal & Newbie Squonker

Cat
    AVF Regular
    See below...thanks Tapatalk...
    Last edited by Cat; 22-03-17 at 01:55 AM.
    DogMan likes this.
    Be Realistic. Plan for a Miracle.

Quit smoking 22 Sep 16

Cat
    AVF Regular

PIF comp

Quote Originally Posted by Cat View Post
    As everyone has said this is a great thread thank you Doggie, and well said Tom.

I will write in the spirit of fun...

As you may suspect, I have been a cat person most of my life. I lived next door to a guy who couldn't find the steak he had left on the kitchen bench for the life of him, until he found that Gypsy (who one of my current dogs is named after) had been forced to poop the plastic vacuum coating he had snorted along with the steak. Life went on and he got an English Staffie, very proud of her highest Australian ranking pedigree lines until the day she escaped and spent the best day of her life at the local school with the love of her life (and the only dog whose existence she ever acknowledged til then). He jumped 8ft fences to join her in their escapade of day long rapture which resulting in 5 gorgeous puppies, thereby ruining future prospective breeding opportunities.

One in particular stole my heart, she was different to the others...smarter and IMO cuter. I had NO intention of giving into this attraction but she did. She struggled to clamber up my very narrow dangerous stairs, cross the barriers I had put there to deter her, and arrived in my arms...scratches on her belly, over and over until she won. She became my amazing best friend and influenced the lives of many people because there was just something really special about her. I named her after my Nanna, Grace, who i lost to my eternal despair when I was 7, and Max, my grandfather I never met. My other current dog is named after her.

I have many photos of her, she was very photogenic and people told me I should use her image for cards, I am going to include my favourite one of her, one I had etched onto metal. She died suddenly, too young and I thought I was going to as well. She had come with me everywhere, TAFE even let her sit under my desk in class and my TAFE teacher cried her eyes out all the way home along a two hour train trip when I had to break the news to her. She just had that kind of effect on people. People would stop me in the street to tell me how amazing she was, just because she exuded some kind of very special energy. I cannot seperate one particular event from the rest because every moment together was amazing. And that is how I became Cat/Dog.

She carried and arranged these pillows for her ultimate comfort:

Last edited by Cat; 22-03-17 at 11:05 AM.

Quit smoking 22 Sep 16

AVF Regular
    gorgeous dog, cat [lol]

looks like she had a delightfully maintenance free coat too
    Cat likes this.
    "Vapers- The evangelical vegans of the smoking community"
    Quote Originally Posted by btobw View Post
    1 vote for DogMan because squonkers, dogs, chooks and brevity

Cat
    AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by DogMan View Post
    gorgeous dog, cat [lol]

looks like she had a delightfully maintenance free coat too
    Haha Thanks my dog friend. I didn't realise how much so until I got the next ones
    DogMan likes this.

Quit smoking 22 Sep 16

AVF Regular
    Second entry, and another Hamish/Food mishap. I have to say at this point it ends fine, but was scary on so many levels.

So my mother had come over to visit for the weekend; she was becoming quite frail at this stage. Mum had brought a few food and drink items and was putting them in the fridge. The first thing I knew there was a problem was I saw a white streak go past me, and mum says something like "Oh"!

More concerned for Mum at this stage I ask her what was wrong. Turns out she'd dropped a whole Kabana sausage intended for nibbles and drinks, and Hamish who was always quite interested in anything going on in the kitchen was quick to seize the opportunity and the Kabana. I hadn't noticed that little detail as he streaked past me. This was a real concern because Hamish's method of eating contraband of this nature is to put it inside his belly ASAP, usually with an absolute minimum of actually biting anything off of it. So there's three bedrooms at the back of the house, and of course he's in the last one I check... and my worst fears are realised right there. Hamish has attempted to insert the whole sausage down his throat, and it's obvious the only bite that he took was after he got half the sausage down his throat.

He's gasping and choking and actually "gasping" isn't quite the right word - there was no air getting past the sausage. I grab his snout and pull the jaws apart - I can just see the end of the sausage at the back of his throat. Reaching in I grab the sausage to try to pull it out and the damn thing somehow slips further down. Realisation dawns that we are in some serious doo doo here.

I carry him into the kitchen where the light is better, but the sausage is just out of reach even though I can just see it. It's too slippery to get a hold of. We did doggy first aid at the puppy training group I took him to. "Doggy Heimlich manoeuvre"! I thought.

So I pick up his back his back legs. You are then supposed to punch the dog in the belly. I can't do it. I think you are supposed to give them fair whack but I can't hit my little dog that hard. I try a few squeezes in the belly area. Half the sausage is jammed down his gullet and this seems to do nothing. The dog is still not getting any air. Second plan, and the one I should have done first is a variation - you pick the dog up and swing him down, stopping suddenly. (You have to support the dog's neck and head straight while doing this - so only small dogs, and only if you've been shown how. It's a bit l like when you flick a flooded atty to clear it. This does not work either.

By now Hamish is starting to stagger and tremble. I might have tried the swing thing again, I can't remember. Finally, Hamish manages a vomit reaction that is violent enough to expel the sausage which lands on the floor. I'm so damned relieved I put the dog down but I can't manage any other immediate action at this point, I'm completely shattered and some kind of adrenaline reaction is setting in.

Meanwhile Hamish is recovering nicely. This is where things get even more surreal for me, if that's possible: Hamish picks up the sausage and (I seriously kid you not!) inserts the entire thing down his gullet for the second time.

Of course it all ended fine, but required going though most of the previous steps for the second time. Hamish's instinct to gulp food is not unusual for dogs - but his lack of judgement as to the size of things that would fit certainly was. I've never heard of any other dog that seemed so hell bent on self destruction.
    Fatman, DogMan, merexy and 7 others like this.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

Cat
    AVF Regular
    That is a great story, I was laughing in the first sentence because I can totally see the white streak thing happening.

I can relate on so many levels, Gypsy is such a pig she snorts stuff (anything) and has no concept of savouring anything (resulting in me having to reduce her from 41 to 24kg with extreme effort fairly recently) with the first step being a Jaws impersonation. It all started when i got Gracie whose ribs were showing, and who zooms around doing crazy things and delights in chasing her own tail and humping Gypsy's head. I discovered she has a cleft palate and needs to take time to eat her food. It's almost like me trying to find the happy medium in vaping if I think about it

They both now know that they are not to enter the kitchen and trip me over while I am preparing their food. They know exactly where their own bowl goes and that there is NO crossing that line and Gypsy has added the word GENTLE to her vocabulary. Gracie has come a long way from when I first got her when I was in a wheelchair and she had ZERO concept of any commands whatsoever combined with a very stubborn streak and would give me the paw when I tried to coerce her to come back.

Mischka the cat is a whole 'nother long story but they all agree that they are not happy I joined AV as it steals so much of my attention from them and regularly tell me so, particularly when their inner alarm clocks go off at 5pm on the dot.

I always look in Gracie's first if mouth if my newly acquired tooth denture goes missing.

And my first thought would have been tongs if I were you, probably resulting in lockjaws clamping my fingers as I tried to get them in there Fab... haha now I know. Not that I could lift mine upside down for the life of me...

Quit smoking 22 Sep 16

AVF Regular
    dibs NOT being a judge on this , this will be a tough call!
    Fatman, DogMan and Vapewave like this.
    One failed lab experiment away from obtaining superpowers

https://media.tenor.co/images/860c5d...011a/tenor.gif

AVF Regular
    Entry 3...

I don't have much video of the dogs. Most still cameras these days will do short clips though and I can recommend you make at least a few. One afternoon after work I decided to have a bit of fun in the back yard with a dry ice rocket...

Fatman, MrGruffy, DogMan and 3 others like this.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    My best buddy, caillie the tri colour border collie. I'm quite sure the d in ocd stands for dog. She is nearly 2 and loves nothing more than to chase a ball or stick. Not so much bringing then back but chasing them is her daily highlight. Her day is made up of routines, waiting impatiently for me to finish coffee before letting the chooks out of their various palaces to roam around my 25 of 140 acres. A more clever and stubborn creature I've never met.

A recent addition to dog fun is laser pointer chasing. I gave this up some years ago when my russian blue cat "Boris" finally worked out it was me making him run into walls and up curtains, sitting there panting from a bout of chasing, he looked over at me and realised the red from the thing in my hand was the origin of his previous frustration and stomped over to me and bit me fair in the calf, thereafter to refuse to acknowledge the red dot. I found the pointer a few days ago and thought to see what caillie thought of it and she is as obsessed as any kitten. Right now she's waiting by the stove examining ever square centimetre of floor looking for the dot. Amusingly, she'll now look to the hand and then the floor, repeat many many times, fully aware that it's me doing the dot and loving it.

Edit: New trick, she doesn't like it when the dot is on a paw, she bites it. So when I pick up the pointer she lifts a front paw and looks attentively at the floor.

Dog doesn't mind a car treat.

Dog loves snow.

Dog finds she no longer fits through dog door unless it approached at speed. Not long after this, and larger door was obtained and installed, due to increasing 'through speed" took the whole assembly with her, later to be found wrapped around her body and had to be cut off. Much wimpering was had.

Why do chickens cross the road? Because Henry the supervising rooster tells them to bloody cross it where he wants them to cross.

Sorry for the massive pics, I've forgotten how to make the right size.
    Last edited by MrGruffy; 22-03-17 at 11:08 AM.
    Fatman, fabricator4, btobw and 4 others like this.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast