• 3 Post By stylemessiah
  • 1 Post By Tom Drake
  • 1 Post By Nasha
  • 1 Post By Nasha

Thread: WTB: 18650's (bulk) or 18350/26650's

AVF Regular

WTB: 18650's (bulk) or 18350/26650's

Hi All,

My younger brother is getting into solar and has setup his first little solar station and I want to try and gather up enough batteries to give him a nice little power bank.

So a lightbulb went off when I considered the fact I have about 10 18650's that I no longer use myself!

Yes I am well aware of all electrical hazards, cautions and requirements

So, I'm looking for as many 18650's as you have to spare! As long as they hold a charge, they will suffice. Low capacity batteries will be placed in cells with like capacity batteries, so anything will do.

Happy to take 26650's or even 18350/500's if there's reasonable qty available in total.

Not looking to break the bank, so if you've got some brand new unused batteries that you're looking to get rid of for $5ea or something, this isn't the fallout for you sorry

Hopefully there's some batteries out there waiting to be put to use!!

EDIT: I trust AVFr's to know better, but anything with 'Fire' in the name, take them immediately to your nearest battery recycling depot and never use them again!

Cheers,
    Nasha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Nasha; 27-07-17 at 02:49 AM.

AVF Regular
    Hi Nasha - reading your post closely you seem to know what you're doing
    (always a worry with "used battery" action hahaha)

I have quite a few batteries that I am not using any more, but in excellent condition - like 18350s and 18500s...
    Plus some 'brand new' (quite expensive) 18650s that I never used as they were slightly 'too big' to fit in my mods.

Would be very happy to send them all to you for free via snail mail (necessary, of course) if you PM your postal address.

Cheers

Tom
    Nasha, Tara, stylemessiah and 1 others like this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Drake View Post
    Hi Nasha - reading your post closely you seem to know what you're doing
    (always a worry with "used battery" action hahaha)

I have quite a few batteries that I am not using any more, but in excellent condition - like 18350s and 18500s...
    Plus some 'brand new' (quite expensive) 18650s that I never used as they were slightly 'too big' to fit in my mods.

Would be very happy to send them all to you for free via snail mail (necessary, of course) if you PM your postal address.

Cheers

Tom
    Hi Tom,

Yeah, I've tinkered with electronics from a young age, so 35yrs of hobby electronics has taught me a thing or two - batteries and electricity are dangerous!

I've also done quite a bit of reading and going over plans of guys on the 18650 power wall forums.

After I had done all of that I felt comfortable that I'd produce a few small cells. Certainly not in the quantity of thousands that some of the guys on that forum are! That would put too much fear in me, but they're also very well educated and know what they're doing so I learnt a lot more there.

Very generous of you Tom, will shoot you a PM now

Still on the hunt guys, unless Tom has a massive hoarding problem I'm after moaaar please

stylemessiah likes this.

AVF Regular
    Haha Tom doesnt have a hoarding problem...he's a gent, ive had managed to buy/pry a few things from his excellent care

Meanwhile someones been watching DIY 18650 powerwall vids on youtube have they?...ive seen that mad kiwi i think he was with an impressive array...when it gets that large i instantly think of thermal cascade...
    Last edited by stylemessiah; 27-07-17 at 02:36 AM.
    Stylemessiah: Prince of all things small and whispery. Abhorrer of shoutiness. Shunner of all vigorousities.

Pushing back against the vendor wall, one damn stupid post at a time...

Not on as many ignore lists as you think....

Handy shopping links:
    Mods With Issues (Often On Discounted Flash Sale) Last Updated 13/10/17

AVF Regular
    I definitely have a 'hoarding' (collecting?) problem hahaha - but not so much with batteries, unfortunately, Nasha!
    So I have about 20 or so different batts that I can send.

Great project - good luck with getting HEAPS more cells - AVF will no doubt spring to life tomorrow morning to help you out here
    stylemessiah likes this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by stylemessiah View Post
    Haha Tom doesnt have a hoarding problem...he's a gent, ive had managed ot buy/pry a few things from his excellent care

Meanwhile someones been watching DIY 18650 powerwall vids on youtube have they?...ive seen that mad kiwi i think he was with an impressive array...when it gets that large i instantly think of thermal cascade...
    Kept right away from watching any videos... Videos tend to build unsafe grand ideas. I stuck to the text and electrical diagrams in the forums that dealt with pure electrical best practice, not bigger is better for more views on YouTube!

Now you've got me curious though hahah. If we were in the US we'd have access to recycled Tesla batteries that go mighty cheap it's insane!

stylemessiah likes this.

AVF Regular

WTB: 18650's (bulk) or 18350/26650's

I definitely have a 'hoarding' (collecting?) problem hahaha - but not so much with batteries, unfortunately, Nasha!
    So I have about 20 or so different batts that I can send.

Great project - good luck with getting HEAPS more cells - AVF will no doubt spring to life tomorrow morning to help you out here
    I don't want to get too greedy and expect to clean AVF out of all batteries, but I was hoping to get around 100 usable cells to loosely translate to 20Ah battery capacity.

I also didn't want to have to go down the route of dismantling laptop batteries... That's when things start getting sketchy and it just isn't worth it

Will find out once I start testing how many cells I'll actually need to obtain 100 usable cells, but a good project for myself indeed, and a lot to be learnt by the grasshopper in electrical safety along the way!

stylemessiah likes this.

AVF Regular
    Hi Nasha - I sent off the batteries today by parcel post, you should get them by the middle of next week.
    I didn't have as many as I thought, but I sent you a mix of 14 - most are genuine 'AW' batts - some new, some well pre-loved!

Hope you might be able to put them to good use

AVF Regular
    Hi Nasha - I sent off the batteries today by parcel post, you should get them by the middle of next week.
    I didn't have as many as I thought, but I sent you a mix of 14 - most are genuine 'AW' batts - some new, some well pre-loved!

Hope you might be able to put them to good use
    Thanks Tom, better than none although avf didn't spring to life like I had hoped. Looks like I'll be buying most of them new