Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By fabricator4
  • 3 Post By Blaktop
  • 1 Post By Nardonic

Thread: Hey vaping cobra, question about your concentrates

Hey vaping cobra, question about your concentrates

On your website you have a 'drop-based' measuring system, which doesn't really work for me. I use plungers and measure down to 0.1 ml, so can you advise if they are 10% like some others around?
    I usually fill a 30ml bottle with a fresh batch, which is closer to 32 ml if filled up right to the top leaving no air bubble, hence I'll add 3.2ml of concentrate; will this work with your concentrates too?

The reason i ask is I've had other concentrates which I was told were 8% and I found the extra 2% does in fact make a difference (red bull/mad cow/raging bull)

AVF Regular
    I'm sure Charlie will be along to expand on this, but there's no "10%" rule for any of these concentrates. They're not formulated to always be mixed 10% or anything like that. Some of the TFA and FA flavours I use at 2 to 5 percent, other's I use as an adjunct only at about 0.2% which for me is one drop in 10ml. Examples where you might use such small concentrations are bitter wizard and Koolada. I use menthol at 2% while I know others that use concentrations well into double digits.

You also usually won't get really great flavours using just one flavour. The trick to good DIY is tasting the flavours then finding ways to combine them that work. You can do this with a 40 drop test which gives you a resolution of 2.5%. After doing the test you get some ideas on how the flavour can be used. Typical total flavour concentrates in my juices vary from around 6% up to around 12% depending what I am making.

If this is all too hard at this stage, you might consider the range of doublers that Charlie sells, or have a look at the recipes section for some ideas. For me personally, I tend to halve the concentrates in most people's recipes because I find them a bit overpowering, but many people like more robust flavours. We are all different and are going to like different things. I find it's better start off a little light on the flavour and increase it if necessary - having a bad experience with a flavour that is too strong can put you off using that flavour for a long time.

The only golden rule is if a flavour tasted too light, or you're not sure an adjunct flavour is doing anything then it needs to be increased. If the flavour is too strong then it will have a strong chemical note and will need to be reduced.

For me, the dangers of flavours that are too strong include not being able to taste the flavour after five minutes, nasty chemical taste, vaper's tongue, and long term aversion to using those flavours.

As far as drop measurements, it's a trap to think that drops are close to accurate. It's a common myth that 20 drops equals 1ml, but my very first 20 drop test busted that myth wide open for me. On investigation I discovered that my measurements are 46 drops for VG and 54 drops for PG with my droppers and at the temperatures I normally work at. As with all things vape, people are going to get a wide difference in results when they do this test, however it's crucial when scaling small recipes up and moving from drop additions to mls.
    Last edited by fabricator4; 25-12-13 at 08:31 PM.
    RichoVonBlack and maggie like this.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    I always use syringes to mix.....I have 1ml, 5 ml and 10ml.....the drop thing always seemed to me to be an inaccurate method when mixing any reasonable amount. I usually mix 40ml at a time of my favourite (Capella Vanilla Custard concentrate from Vaping Cobra.....I mix it at 10%). which means 4ml of flavour concentrate. As you can see from fabricator's post there is a variation in drops. It's personal thing, I've never tried drops, it just didn't seem to be an accurate system of measuring for 40ml of juice.
    fabricator4, porkchop and maggie like this.

AVF Regular
    You shud address this it to his site...you'll get a reply from there mate...

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaktop View Post
    I've never tried drops, it just didn't seem to be an accurate system of measuring for 40ml of juice.

No, it's not accurate for larger batches, except for adjunct flavourings where you are using less than 10 drops of something, and on the proviso that you know what your personal drops per ml ratio is.

I recommend that people count drops into a 2.5ml syringe and count the drops to 2ml. Halving this will obviously give you the number drops to the ml. You do 2ml to reduce the error factors involved. You can drop 2ml of PG and then do it for VG. The difference between PG and VG, and the difference between the mythical 20 drops/ml may surprise some people. You can achieve a high degree of accuracy, but you must do the test.

It's normally very useful to do 20 or 40 drop tests on a flavour or a combination before you start mixing larger batches, unless you've got such a large quantity of supplies that it doesn't matter if you have to throw some larger batches out. Fine tuning can then be done on 10ml batches before possibly moving on to still larger batches.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

Thanks for the replies guys! Looks like I'll be mixing up some small batches for tasting in a dripper before doing a larger batch.
    fabricator4 likes this.

AVF Regular
    I think you would only use the drops method, if you were mixing up 5ml of liquid to try. Hate to try it that way when i'm mixing 250ml.
    Move along!!! Nothing to see here.